Zayn Malik Biography
Zain Javadd Malik, known in the world of music as Zayn Malik, is a British singer and composer, recognized for having been part of the band One Direction. He was born in Bradford, England on January 12, 1993, and is the son of Yaser Malik and Tricia Brannan. As a child, he showed interest in music, since he spent a lot of time on his computer listening to it and singing alone for hours. He lived in the East Bowling area, south of Bradford, and studied at Fields Primary School and Tong High School.
In 2009, Zayn Malik wanted to audition for The X Factor, but due to anxiety, he retired before presenting his audition to the judges. A year later, he appeared again, but this time he auditioned with the song “Let Me Love You” by Mario Dewar Barrett and managed to advance to the next round of the competition; finally, he did not classify in the category of Boys of the program.
After the audition in The X Factor, the judge Nicole Scherzinger suggested that Zayn Malik should be part of a future band that would be called One Direction, along with Liam Payne, Niall Horan, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson. The creation of the group was a fact in 2010, and the five young people were sponsored by Simon Cowell. During the competition, the band sang songs such as “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson and “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler, so the group became one of the candidates to win the contest. However, they were in third place, behind Rebecca Ferguson and winner Matt Cardle. Although Zayn Malik and his group did not win, Cowell paid a contract of 2 million pounds for One Direction to sign with the Syco record label.
Around 2011, already with One Direction, they released their first studio album entitled “Up All Night” which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, which made the band the first British group to debut with their first album in the position number 1. The single “What Makes You Beautiful” arrived at the first position in Ireland, Mexico, and the United Kingdom. Zayn Malik and the rest of the band, started the Up All Night Tour, with the aim of promoting their album, and they also released a DVD of the tour.
In November 2012, he released his album “Take Me Home” which was ranked number 1 in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the United States, Ireland and New Zealand. The first two singles of this album, “Live While We’re Young” and “Little Things” were a total success in many radio stations of several countries. That same year they started their second Take Me Home Tour, performing concerts on 4 continents. In addition, part of the tour was recorded for his first documentary film called This is Us. That same year, he was named the most wanted male celebrity of the year.
In the summer of 2013, the first One Direction film premiered at London’s Leicester Square, the film entitled ‘This Is Us’ was a documentary in which they themselves were responsible for explaining how his career had been for a dream.
The third studio album by One Direction, entitled “Midnight Memories” was released in 2013 and was a commercial success. A year later, they released the album “Four” with which they reached an expanded record of 4 consecutive number one albums.
On March 25, 2015, arriving at the end of the second stage of the On The Road Again Tour, Zayn Malik officially announced his retirement from One Direction. Among the varied reasons he gave, he explained that the last five years with the group had been wonderful; affirming:
“My life with One Direction has been more than I ever imagined. But, after five years, I feel that right now is the right time to leave the band. I would like to apologize to the fans if I disappointed anyone, but I have to do what my heart feels. I’m leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old boy who is able to relax and have a private moment away from the crowd. I know I have four friends for the rest of my life: Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”
In his passage through One Direction, he composed songs such as “Taken”, “Everything About You”, “Same Mistakes”, “Last First Kiss” and “Summer Love” belonging to the albums Up All Night and Take Me Home.
In July 2015, Zayn Malik announced that he had signed a recording agreement with RCA Records.
The single “Pillowtalk” that would be part of his album was released in January 2016. The song debuted at number one in several countries, including the United Kingdom and the United States. The second official single of the album was called “Back to Sleep (Remix)” with the collaboration of rappers Lil Wayne and Chris Brown. For the month of March of that same year, his album “Mind of Mine” was released. The album debuted at number one in countries such as the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden and the United States, where he became the first British male artist to debut in that position with his first album. For March 24, 2017, Zayn Malik released the single “Still Got Time” in collaboration with PartyNextDoor.
DISCOGRAPHIC WORKS WITH ONE DIRECTION
- 2011: Up All Night.
- 2011: Gotta Be You.
- 2012: More than This.
- 2012: iTunes Festival: London 2012.
- 2012: Live While We’re Young.
- 2012: Take Me Home.
- 2013: Midnight Memories.
- 2014: Four.
- 2016: Mind of Mine.
SOME AWARDS WITH ONE DIRECTION
- 4Music Video Honors Award for Best Revelation: 2011.
- 4Music Video Honors Award for Best Group: 2011 and 2012.
- Bambi Awards Award for Best International Pop Artist: 2012.
- BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards Award for Best British Single, for “One Thing”: 2012.
- BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards for Best British Album, for “Up All Night”: 2012.
- BBC Radio Award 1 Teen Awards for Best British Artist: 2012. 4Music Video Honors Award for Best Video, for ” What Makes You Beautiful “: 2011.
- MTV Video Music Awards Award for Best Video of a New Artist, for “What Makes You Beautiful “: 2012.
- MTV Video Music Awards Award for Best Pop Video: 2012.
- MTV Video Music Awards Award to Video worthier to share, for “What Makes You Beautiful”: 2012.
- Awards 40 Major Spain for Best New Artist 2012 international. Awards 40 Major America for Best Artist or Pop Group 2012. Awards 40 Major America for Best Artist or Group revelation 2012.
- American Music Awards to Band, duo or favorite pop/rock group: 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Awards 40 Main Spain to Best International Album: 2013.
- BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards to Best British Group: 2013.
- Premio BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards for Best British Singing, for “Best Song Ever”: 2013.
- American Music Awards Award to Favorite Pop / Rock Album, for Take Me Home: 2013.
- Billboard Music Awards Award for Top Duo / Group of the Year: 2013 and 2015.
- Billboard Music Awards Award for Top New Artist of the Year: 2013. Japan Gold Disc Awards Award for Best New International Artist: 2013.
- Billboard Music Awards Award for Top Pop Artist of the Year: 2013. MTV Video Music Awards Award for Best Song of Summer, by Best Song Ever: 2013.
- Myx Music Awards Award for Favorite International Video, for One Thing: 2013.
- People’s Choice Awards for Favorite Album, for “Up All Night”: 2013.
- People’s Choice Awards for Favorite Song, by “What Makes You Beautiful: 2013.
- American Music Awards Award for Artist of the Year: 2014 and 2015.
- American Music Awards Award for Favorite Pop / Rock Album, by Midnight Memories: 2014.
- ARIA Awards Award for Best International Artist: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Billboard Music Awards Award to Top Touring Artist: 2015.
- Radio Disney Music Awards Award for Best Love Song: 2016.
- Vevo Certified History Award, for 200 million views: 2016.
- 2010: The X Factor.
- 2012: iCarly.
- 2012, 2013, 2014: Saturday Night Live.
- 2013: One Direction: This Is Us.
- 2014: Where We Are-The Concert Film.
- 2014: One Direction: The TV Special.
- 2016: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- The Voice: 2016.
- 2018: Ocean’s Eight.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS AS SOLOIST
- The Asian Awards: 2016.
- The Asian Awards: 2016.
- American Music Awards to new artist of the year: 2016.
- Music Choice to new best soloist: 2016.
- Billboard Power 100: 2017.
- iHeartRadio Music Awards: 2017.
- Billboard Music Awards: 2017